In its first year this bed was truly spectacular. It was sown at Easter 2006
at the rate of 1gm (a third of a teaspoon) per square metre. It started off
looking like a bed of weeds but by mid June gave a wonderful display which lasted
well into the Autumn. We noticed that in the baking temperatures during the
heatwave, that year, the display in the early morning was much better than in
Over the next year or so the stronger perennials such as Gallium and Achillia rather took over, along with self sown grasses. So in 2009 we changed the style to be more "prairie" and less meadow. But we intend to still have a large swathe of meadow.
Meadow on the left, Prairie on the right.